Vincent J. Basciano (pronounced bah-see-an-oh) (born November 14, 1959) is an American mobster who became acting boss of the Bonanno Crime Family after the arrest of boss Joseph Massino. After the arrest of Bonanno crime family boss Joseph Massino, Vincent Basciano became one of the most powerful mobsters in America.
Basciano is nicknamed "Vinny Gorgeous," due to owning a Bronx beauty salon called "Hello Gorgeous," and for his fastidious grooming, hairstyle and looks. In 2011, several reporters noted that despite being imprisoned, Basciano still looked perfectly groomed in the courtroom.
Basciano became associated with organized crime at a relatively young age, working for mafia bosses in his early 20’s. In 1991, Basciano became a made member of the Bonanno crime family and later in 2002, Basciano was promoted to captain. In 1994, Basciano was aqquited of supplying heroin to a drug ring that made an approximate $10 million a year, from 1985 to 1991. Basciano’s rising mafia status continued as in 2004, then inprisoned Bonanno boss Joseph Massino promoted Basciano to acting boss. As acting boss, Basciano inducted several new members, ordered the murder of Bonnano associate Randolph Pizzolo, and plotted the murders of capo Patrick Defilippo and mob associate Joseph Bonelli.On May 6. 2006, Basciano was convicted in a racketeering trial for running illegal gambling and attempted murder. However, due to a hung jury, Basciano was not convicted of the 2001 murder of Frank Santoro.After Basciano's first murder trial, prosecutors again indicted him on the Santoro murder. On August 1, 2007, Basciano was convicted of murdering Santoro, who tried to kidnap Basciano's son, and was subsequently sentenced to life imprisonment.
On May 16, 2011, Basciano was convicted of ordering the 2004 murder of Ralph "Randy" Pizzolo, On June 1, 2011, a jury rejected a prosecution request for the death penalty and instead sentenced Basciano to life in federal prison.
As of December 2011, Vincent Basciano is serving his sentences in the United States Penitentiary ADX in Florence, Colorado. After He moved USP Big Sandy.He has life in Prison.
- ↑ Vincent J. Basciano. New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement exclusion list. State of New Jersey. Retrieved on April 6, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli. "Bonannos' new boss is salon owner, trial is told", 2004-05-26. Retrieved on March 22, 2011.
- ↑ Marzulli, John. "It's style first for Vinny Gorgeous: Basciano KOs headphones as secret mob tapes roll in court", 2011-04-26. Retrieved on 2012-01-29.
- ↑ William K. Rashbaum. "Former Salon Owner Is Convicted of Racketeering, but Not Murder", 2006-05-10. Retrieved on March 22, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli. "More trials for Basciano", 2006-05-11. Retrieved on March 22, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli. "Pretty quickly, Gorgeous found guilty in '01 slay", 2007-08-01. Retrieved on 2012-01-29.
- ↑ 'Vinny Gorgeous' guilty of murder. UPI.com. United Press International (2007-08-01). Retrieved on March 22, 2011.
- ↑ John Marzulli. "Bonanno crime boss Vincent Basciano sentenced to life in prison", 2010-01-18. Retrieved on 2012-01-29.
- ↑ Maddux, Mitchel. "Bonanno crime family boss Vincent 'Vinny Gorgeous' Basciano found guilty in gangland hit", 2011-05-16. Retrieved on May 16, 2011.
- ↑ Tom Hays (2011-06-02). NYC Mobster Vinny Gorgeous Avoids Death Sentence. ABCnews.com. Associated Press. Retrieved on June 2, 2011.
- ↑ Anahad O'Connor (2001-06-01). For Mobster, a Life Term, Not His First, Offers Relief. New York Times.com. The New York Times. Retrieved on June 1, 2011.
- ↑ http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=NameSearch&needingMoreList=false&FirstName=Vincent&Middle=&LastName=Basciano&Race=U&Sex=U&Age=&x=64&y=16